- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Yorktown Teen Center To Get $15K Makeover
The Yorktown Teen Center has received $15,000 from the Jack DeVito Foundation of Yorktown Heights to help pay for the Center's major renovation project that's due to be completed by May 1, 2011.
President of the Teen Center's board of Directors, Helena Rodriguez, said, "There are no words that I can come up with to describe the gratitude I have for the Jack DeVito Foundation. I was left speechless."
The generous donation will bring many changes to the Teen Center's facility, located in the Yorktown Community and Cultural Center on Commerce Street, including new carpeting, ceramic tile, new window treatments, new furniture-such as desks and computer tables--new food-service-area cabinetry, bistro-style tables and chairs, appliances as well as a 60" flat-screen HDTV monitor with sound system.
John DeVito, a Board member with the Jack DeVito Foundation, says the donation to the Yorktown Teen Center fulfills the mission of the Foundation to support programs which enhance the educational,vocational and athletic talents of our young people.
The Yorktown Teen Center serves more than 100 kids in the community. Officials are hoping the new changes encourage more teens to take part.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters