- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Yorktown Man Charged with Felony DWI Under Leandra's Law
State Police have this weekend arrested a Yorktown man after a state trooper noticed a 2000 Toyota sienna mini-van with a flat tire traveling southbound on the shoulder of the Taconic State Parkway near Peekskill Hollow Road in Putnam Valley.
Officials say the trooper pulled his patrol car over around 5 p.m. Saturday to see if the vehicle's operator, 43 year old Patrick Araya of Yorktown Heights, needed assistance. A field sobriety test was administered and it was determined that Araya had a blood alcohol level of .13%. Police also found several water bottles in his car containing a mixture of vodka and orange juice.
In Araya's van was an 8 and a 6 year old girl. He was charged with felony DWI under Leandra's Law. He was also charged with possessing an open container of an alcoholic beverage inside a vehicle, driving with an unsafe tire and driving on the shoulder of a controlled-access
highway. Araya was arraigned in Putnam Valley Town Court and remanded to
the Putnam County Jail in liew of $500 cash bail or $1,000 bond.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters