- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Yonkers Police Warn Residents of a Series of Burglaries
Yonkers Police are warning residents to lock their doors and windows in light of several burglaries that have taken place over the past few days.
Cops say on February 4, someone broke into a home on Nimitz Road through a rear door and apparently attempted to steal a flat screen television, leaving the large TV by the front door of the home and the rest of the house in disarray. It's unclear, what, if anything, was removed from the residence.
Police then checked another home on Nimitz Road which they say had an open basement window and damaged screen. That home was also in disarray. Officials say they are in the process of contacting the residents of both homes to determine if any items have been removed.
Earlier in the week, three other burglaries were reported in the same general area. In one of the burglaries, police say electronics and jewelry were taken with an approximate value of $1,800.
Police in the 1st Precinct have been giving the area special attention. On February 5, officers received a report of a suspicious vehicle in the area. Eyewitnesses told police two white males exited a red four-door Honda Civic and walked up to the front door of a residence. The two rang the bell and went back to their car prior to police arrival. It's unknown whether the men are responsible for the string of burglaries.
Police remind residents to not only lock windows and doors, but to remove snow from walkways which might give burglars a sign that the home might be unoccupied.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Yonkers Detective Division at (914) 377-7724. All calls will be kept confidential.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters