- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Yonkers City Council Approves Budget
By a vote of 6-1, the Yonkers City Council Wednesday night approved Mayor Phillip Amicone's $894 million spending plan, but stopped short of restoring a number of services that had been cut in recent weeks, including twice-weekly garbage collection.
City Council President Chuck Lesnick said, "We had hoped that we would be able to actually restore services, but there were some snags in the labor negotiations. We felt we needed to approve the budget so that the Mayor could at least be able to send out tax bills and allow him to continue to negotiate with the city's labor unions."
Yonkers was up against a July 15 deadline to get the budget approved. The spending plan must still be certified before the Comptroller before the city can finally send out its tax bills, something officials say will bring in much needed revenue. Had Yonkers not approved a new budget, the city would literally have run out of money on July 23.
Mayor Phillip Amicone is expected to begin meeting with some of the city's labor unions as early as Thursday.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters