- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Winter Storm Warning Down. Ice Warning Up in Westchester
The monster storm that's been affecting a good portion of the United States is upon us and is changing. The National Weather Service has taken down its Winter Storm Warning and now posted an Ice Warning for Westchester County.
The storm started as snow earlier today, forcing the closure of schools and businesses. Many areas are currently seeing sleet, freezing rain and rain now and that is expected to continue through Wednesday afternoon.
Hazardous travel conditions are expected and the ice is of particular concern, officials say, because the weight could take down trees and power lines.
Utility companies remind customers that it's a good idea to have an emergency kit in place.
They suggest people set aside battery operated flashlights, candles, matches, a battery-operated or solar-powered radio, extra water, warm blankets and clothing, canned foods and foods that don't require refrigeration in the event of a prolonged outage.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters