- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester Residents, Highway Crews Gear Up for More Snow
Here comes the snow again.
A Winter Storm Warning is in effect from 7 this evening until 6 p.m. Wednesday.
Forecasters say we can expect snow to move in, mainly after 9 p.m. low tonight around 22. Total nighttime snow accumulation of between 4 and 8" possible
Snow's expected to continue into tomorrow through the afternoon hours, with an addition 3-5" expected. Forecasters say those numbers will likely be higher for eastern portions of Westchester County, particularly along the shoreline, as the storm is taking a northeasterly track.
Highway crews across the County have spent a good portion of the day preparing for the big cleanup tonight and tomorrow.
Yorktown Highway Superintendent Eric DiBartolo says his crews did some minor tune-ups of vehicles that were out just last week, repairing windshield wipers, chains, anti-freeze and re-loading salt and such in preparation for this latest storm.
Said DiBartolo, "Right now I've sent everybody home. They will be back at 9 o'clock this evening. The full force, the contingency will be working. We will be deploying 81 trucks when we're in the thick of it and we're just hoping that if people don't have to go to work tomorrow that they will stay home if they can to allow crews to do what they have to do."
DiBartolo says the crews are hunkering down for a long night. He anticipates most workers will be in their trucks for about 18 hours. He says his crew is also prepared to keep an extra truck or two on the road for a possible medical emergency, should snow removal be required to reach a sick or injured resident.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters