- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester to Remember Those Lost on 9-11-01
Ceremonies and memorials are planned throughout Westchester Saturday to mark the 9th anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks.
Westchester County will hold a remembrance service for the 111 County residents who died in the attacks. The service will be held at Westchester's September 11 memorial, The Rising, at the Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla. County Executive Rob Astorino is expected to be joined by Congresswoman Nita Lowey and members of the Board of Legislators as well as some of the families who lost loved ones.
A special ceremony will be held in Peekskill between 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. at the Riverfront Green at the newly- completed Heroes Remembered Memorial which was constructed using a piece of World Trade Center Steel.
In Mount Kisco, the Volunteer Fire Department is hosting a service of remembrance. It will be held at Village Hall at 104 Main Street at 7 p.m.
Yorktown will mark the event remembering its fallen residents at a ceremony at the Shrub Oak Memorial Plaza located at the John C. Hart Memorial Library at 10 a.m.
A September 11 memorial service will be held at 8:30 a.m. at City Hall Plaza in Mount Vernon, 1 Roosevelt Square.
New Castle's ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. at the town memorial at Gedney Park in Milwood.
In Mamaroneck, a ceremony will be held for the victims of September 11 who lived in the villages of Mamaroneck and Larchmont. The 10 a.m. Saturday memorial will be at Memorial Park on Myrtle Boulevard.
Armonk will have its memorial service at 5:30 pm.m at the Village Lutheran Church on White Plains Road.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters