- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester Prepares for Heavy Rain, Possible Flooding
A flood watch and a high wind warning has been posted in Westchester County.
The flood watch is in effect through Saturday morning and the high wind warning's up from 11 a.m. this morning until 11 p.m. tonight.
Total rainfall of between 2-2.5" is possible from this morning into early evening, with some passing thunderstorms expected.
Forecasters say the heavy rainfall coupled with snow melting could result in significant flooding in urban areas, roadways and underpasses as well as small streams.
At the same time, strong gusty winds of up to 60 mph are expected, especially late this afternoon and early this evening. That could result in downed trees and power lines.
Officials warn motorists to be drive with extreme caution, particularly in the afternoon when the combined wet ground and strong winds could potentially take down large trees onto roadways.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters