- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester County Legislator Sworn In
Newly-elected Westchester County Legislator MaryJane Shimsky was sworn in this afternoon to take over the 12th Legislative District seat formerly held by Tom Abinanti. Abinanti was elected to the State Assembly for the seat formerly held by Shimsky's former boss, Assemblyman Richard Brodsky.
Shimsky, in addition to serving as a Community Liason for the former Assemblyman, is an attorney, a 15 year Hastings-on-Hudson resident, and a former Assistant District Attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney's office Appeals Bureau. She also taught history at Marymount College in Tarrytown.
Said Shimsky, "I am honored to have been given the opportunity to serve my friends and neighbors within the 12th County Legislative District. We live in a time when the economy poses a number of challenges. We have a number of things to tackle, but we are going to make the best of a challenging situation. I'm optimistic and excited about the possibilities."
The 12th Legislative District consists of the villages of Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry,Hastings and Irvington, as well as parts of unincorporated Greenburgh, including Edgemont and most of Hartsdale.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters