- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester County Legislator Issues Statement Following Cruise Ship Ordeal
Westchester County Legislator Bernice Spreckman has issued a statement following a mishap at sea involving the Carnival Splendor Cruise ship that left Spreckman, her husband Harry and several dozen seniors from Yonkers stranded along with thousands of other passengers for several days in the Pacific Ocean.
Spreckman said, "First and foremost, Harry and I would like to thank all of the group members who joined us for this trip and for their patience and grace under stressful conditions. Next we'd like to thank everyone-my constituents, colleagues on the Westchester County Board of Legislators, all of my staff, neighbors, family and friends-for their thoughts, prayers and well wishes throughout this whole ordeal."
She added, "I would also like to give special thanks for Carnival Cruise Line and all of the staff of the Carnival Splendor. Under the circumstances, they did an amazing job keeping everyone on the ship calm, entertained and notified of the ship's condition."
Spreckman said while they expected a "restful and relaxing seven-day cruise through the Mexican Riviera, with great cuisine, exciting ship excursions and lots of shopping," they ended up instead with cold sandwiches, sing-a-longs and the United States Coast Guard to rescue us!"
The Yonkers lawmaker says she and her husband are doing well, but plan to get some rest over the next few days following their ordeal at sea. She's expected to return to Yonkers on Thursday November 18 for the next rehearsal for her final Senior Holiday Show, at which time she will elaborate further on her experiences.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters