- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Update: Utility Companies Scramble to Stay Ahead of Power Outages Due to Storm
A storm is bringing heavy rain and strong, gusty winds to Westchester today, knocking out power to thusands of customers. Forecasters say there will be rain today, heavy at times, with winds gusting up to 55 miles per hour, resulting in downed trees and power lines.
Rain is expected to continue through the afternoon with 2-3 inches predicted. That could result in mild to moderate stream and river flooding.
As of 11:30 a.m., NYSEG is reporting it has made a good deal of progress restoring the more than 4,100 outages. Spokesman Jim Salmon says of the outages that remain, about 180 of them are in Bedford, 290 in Lewisboro, 90 in Pound Ridge and about 100 in Somers. Most if not all of those customers are expected to have power restored by around 2 p.m. today.
Salmon says the big concern for the utility is continuing outages throughout the day as winds and heavy rains continue.
Con Edison is reporting 174 customers are in the dark. They are mostly concentrated in North Castle and Yonkers. Spokesman Chris Olert says the utility is hoping to have those customers restored by 5 p.m. tonight.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters