- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Two Arrested on Cross County Parkway Facing Federal Charges
Two men arrested Wednesday after their car was stopped for a traffic violation on the Cross County Parkway were charged in U.S. District Court in White Plains today with Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Distribute.
32 year old Lance Baptiste of Waterbury, Connecticut and 25 year old Eddie Torres of the Bronx were arraigned in federal court and ordered held without bail at the Westchester County Jail.
Around 2:15 p.m. Wednesday, Westchester County Police stopped a car for a traffic violation on the parkway and determined that the driver, Baptiste, had a warrant for his arrest on a misdemeanor drug charge and placed under arrest.
Cops say Torres, the passenger in the front seat, then jumped from the car and fled on foot leading police on a chase through a residential neighborhood on the Mount Vernon-Eastchester border.
Police arrested him after they found him hiding in a basement window well.
In addition to the drug possession charges, Torres was charged with 2nd Degree Obstruction of Governmental Administration, a misdemeanor, for fleeing police.
Police later searched the car and discovered 18,000 packets of heroin with an estimated street value of $180,000 and more than $17,000 in cash.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters