- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Traffic Stop Leads to Arrests on Weapons Charges
Police say a pair of Connecticut men were arrested early this morning on weapons charges following a traffic stop on the Hutchinson River Parkway in Scarsdale.
The car, they say, was pulled over around 4:45 a.m. after officers allegedly clocked the car driving 85 miles per hour on the parkway near North Avenue in New Rochelle. The car was eventually pulled over by Weaver Street in Scarsdale.
While speaking with the driver, police say they detected an odor of alcohol on the man's breath and marijuana emanating from inside the vehicle. A computer check revealed the driver's license had been suspended. A gun was also discovered inside a gap in the engine compartment and a small amount of marijuana, according to police.
They placed under arrest 39 year old Twan Singleton of New Haven, Connecticut. The passenger, 39 year old Anthony Smith of new Haven was also arrested when police discovered the gun. Both men claimed to have no knowledge of the weapon.
Singleton was charged with 2nd Degree Criminal Possession of a Weapon, a felony, Driving While Intoxicated and aggravated Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle, misdemeanors, and Unlawful Possession of Marijuana, a violation. He was also issued summonses for speeding and failure to use designated lane.
Smith was charged with 2nd Degree Criminal Possession of a Weapon.
Both men were to be held overnight pending arraignment, according to police. They are expected to be arraigned Monday in Scarsdale Village Court.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters