- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Thousands Without Power Due to Storm
Driving rains and strong gusty winds have k-o'd power to thousands of customers this afternoon. Wind gusts of up to 50 miles per hour took down trees and power lines leaving utility companies scrambling to restore power to thousands. As of 3 p.m. Con edison is reporting more than 7,000 customers are in the dark. A huge chunk of that, more than 1,000 are in Croton-on-Hudson. Other outages are concentrated in Peekskill, Cortlandt, Eastchester, Elmsford, Harrison, Hastings-on-Hudson, the Village of Mamaroneck, Mount Pleasant, New Caste, New Rochelle, North Castle, North Tarrytown, Rye, Scarsdale, Yorktown, White Plains and Yonkers. Con Edison says most customers should have power restored between 7 and 9 tonight.
NYSEG says nearly 800 of its customers in Westchester are without power in several Westchester communities, including Yorktown Heights, Bedford, Bedford Hills, Mount Kisco, North Salem,Somers, South Salem, Pound Ridge and Katonah. NYSEG spokesman Jim Salmon says they're estimating that some customers will not have power restored until midnight tomorrow night.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters