- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Thousands Without Power as Blizzard Pulls Away
The monster storm that slammed into Westchester County has left many areas with between 12 and 18" of snow and thousands of power customers in the dark.
As of 9 a.m. Con Edison is reporting more than 2,000 customers are without power.
The hardest-hit areas are New Rochelle, Yorktown, Peekskill, Cortlandt,Port Chester,Eastchester, Greenburgh Mount Vernon, Mount Pleasant, North Castle. Con Edison is estimating most, if not all customers will be back online by 6 p.m. Monday night.
NYSEG is reporting hundreds of its customers in Westchester are without power. They are concentrated in Katonah, Yorktown, Goldens Bridge, Somers, North Salem, South Salem, Bedford, Bedford Hills and Croton Falls.
Forecasters say the main problem today will be the strong gusty winds which are expected to continue throughout the day. Due to the strong winds, there will be blowing and drifting snow making cleanup difficult. Winds are continuing to gust between 18 and 40 mph.
In addition to the drifting and blowing snow there is a chance of some snow flurries for the remainder of the day with a possible additional accumulation of 1" of snow.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters