- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Prominent Lincoln re-enactor Fritz Klein, who has brought Lincoln to life on the History channel, Discovery Channel, and National Geographic, among others, was in Peekskill Saturday to mark the 150th Anniversary of Lincoln's historic visit to the City in 1861.
2011 marks the 150th anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln's historic visit to Peekskill.
Today, ground was broken for the interior construction of the Lincoln Depot Building which is slated to become the future Lincoln Depot Museum.
Westchester County Legislator John Testa was joined by County Executive Rob Astorino, Assemblywoman Sandy Galef, Peekskill Mayor Mary Foster, Former Peekskill Mayor Frances Gibbs and dozens of others to mark the beginning of the contruction.
The building, which is located near the Peekskill waterfront is the site where Lincoln made his speech before some 1500 people. It was one of his many campaign stops on a 12 day journey from Springfield, Illinois to his inaugural in Washington D.C. in 1861.
It is widely believed that Lincoln visited the City at the request of Peekskill Attorney William Nelson who served with Lincoln in Congress.
During his stint as Mayor of Peekskill Testa was able to obtain the necessary funding to purchase the Lincoln Depot site and facilitate the complete renovation of the exterior of the structure. The lifesize bronze Lincoln Statue that stands in front was dedicated in 2006.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters