- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
American Heart Association
An employee with Siemens Tarrytown is the recipient of the American Heart Association's 2010 Start! Lifestyle Change Award sonsored by Aetna.
Zenaida Naveira received the award Wednesday at a ceremony at the Heart Institute at Westchester Medical Center.
The Lifestyle Change program helps employers recognize workers who make changes that improve their quality of life and health. Recipients achieve such personal milestones as weight loss, lower blood pressure, more energy or eating healthy.
Naveira said she accepted the award in honor of her family. Said Naveira, "A year ago, I was severely overweight and watched many of my family members suffer from high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease. Their experiences opened my eyes and I realized I needed to make a change.
Naveira initially set a simple weight loss goal of 2-3 pounds, watched her food portions and walked a mile a day at work. She continued that and increased her walking to five miles a day, five days a week and eventually lost a total of 50 pounds and managed to keep the weight off.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters