- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Student Run Network
We've all heard of CNN. But now, Greenburgh Town Supervisor Paul Feiner is hoping to create a news network of his own. Only it's not a money-making venture or even a news operation as we know it.
Starting on Tuesday Feiner plans to meet with dozens of middle and high school students from throughout Westchester County who have expressed interest in taking part in his program, which he is dubbing SNN, or Student News Network.
The Supervisor envisions the program as a way students can learn about government and journalism and have a hands-on opportunity to become a news anchor, writer, producer,reporter or even a camera person. Said Feiner, "They could do as much or as little and be as creative as they like. It's my hope that some of the students will gain experience and eventually become the next Katie Couric or Matt Lauer."
Feiner says he's had a tremendous response to the program already, with more than 30 students signing up over the past week. The program, he says, will be run on cable access television and will be mentored by some top journalists and tv and radio news reporters.
As of now, he says, he received offers of mentoring support from a reporter from the New York Times and a former reporter from NBC TV, among others.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters