- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Wage Theft Prevention Act
Westchester State Senator Andrea-Stewart-Cousins (35th District D/WF) announced today that the Wage Theft prevention Act, which she co-sponsored in the Senate, has been signed into law by Governor David Paterson.
The new law effectively expands workplace rights of employees by requiring employers to provide employees with necessary wage information and puts into place sanctions against employers who fail to propertly pay their workers full earned waves and overtime.
Studies have indicated that a large number of workers are earning less than the state-mandated minimum wage in New York and are not receiving the proper amount of overtime, when indicated.
The new measure raises the criminal penalties for those who fail to pay minimum wage to up to a year in prison and a $5,000 fine.
It also strengthens protections for whistleblowrs in wage violation cases and increases the amount of wages that can be recovered as damages in a suit for non-payment over and above the lost wages themselves-from 25% to 100%.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters