- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
More than a month after election day, Republican Robert Castelli has been declared the winner in the 89th Assembly District Race. His Democratic challenger, White Plains Common Council President Tom Roach, has conceded.
Castelli defeated Roach by just 112 votes.
In court today, New York State Suprem Court Justice Lester Adler denied a motion by Roach to block certification of the race an order a manual hand recount of all the ballots in the 89th Assembly District. Justice Adler also ordered the Westchester County Board of Elections to certify the race with Castelli as the winner.
Castelli was first elected to the position for a partial term of office after Adam Bradley left to take on the job as Mayor of White Plains.
Castelli's victory gives the Republican Assembly minority fifty seats in the Assembly Chamber.
Election day was three weeks ago, but ballot counting is still going on in some of Westchester County's too-close-to-call races.
Workers began counting thousands of absentee ballots Tuesday at the Board of Elections in White Plains.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters