- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
The Town of Cortlandt is now in possession of a piece of World Trade Center Steel that will be used to create a 9/11 Memorial in Croton-on-Hudson at Croton Landing.
Several dozen police, firefighters, volunteers and elected officials traveled in a 16- vehicle caravan early Thursday morning to pick up the steel girder from the World Trade Center's North Tower at a hangar at JFK Airport.
Cortlandt Town Supervisor Linda Puglisi says it was an emotional trip for all involved,
Speaking at a ceremony at Cortlandt Town Hall afterward, Puglisi said "We are blessed and fortunate to be able to have a portion of that steel that we can put into a fitting tribute memorial that is currently being designed in memory of those from our community, our country and the world who perished on that very tragic day."
Officials say plans to create a new September 11 memorial in Croton-on-Hudson are proceeding well.
On September 7, Cortlandt Town Supervisor Linda Puglisi, Buchanan Mayor Sean Murray and Croton-on-Hudson Mayor Leo Wiegman announced plans to create the Remembrance Memorial for 9/11 using steel beams recovered from the World Trade Center rubble.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters