- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
40th State Senate Race
More controversy in the 40th State Senate race.
A local grassroots group has been formed and has set up a Facebook page in opposition to one of the candidates in the race, Democratic Westchester County Legislator Michael Kaplowitz.
The group, calling itself "Stop Tax Hike Mike" is headed up by Robin Murphy of Chappaqua, whose district is represented by Kaplowitz. The group instead supports his oppponent in the race, Assemblyman Greg Ball.
In a news conference Friday, Murphy, said Kaplowitz, "Spent twelve years voting for increased taxes and higher spending. I don't see that in his campaign material." She went on to add "Thanks to Mike, Westchester is now stuck with the highest property taxes in the country and a deficit to boot."
Kaplowitz responded afterward to the charges saying his "record speaks for itself." Said Kaplowitz, "My record is a solid one. I have consistently fought for taxpayers-in fact the truth is I have saved over a hundred twently million dollars in wasteful spending and taxes. I Voted against my own party's increase in taxes; Voted against a pay raise for myself.--and as a financial planner saving people money for living."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters