- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester County Legislator John Testa (R-Peekskill) announced today he's introducing legislation in which Westchester would file a lawsuit against the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Testa was joined at the Cortlandt Train Station this morning by Putnam County Legislature Chairman Vinny Tamagna, saying the so-called "Payroll" or "Mobility" tax is unconstitutional. Tamagna called it ,"Taxation without representation," adding that the MTA doesn't even provide service in Putnam County.
Testa called the MTA Payroll Tax an "egregious tax" that unfairly burdens Westchester County businesses to the point that many are leaving the County. He says he's hopeful his proposal to join forces with Nassau County and sue the MTA over the tax, will receive broad, bi-partisan support on the County Board of Legislators. Said Testa, " At a time where counties such as Westchester are consolidating departments, overtime, pension benefits and health care costs, the MTA has done a poor job of finding ways to cut costs."
Testa cited a recent audit from New York State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli which found overtime rampant in the MTA. DiNapoli found over 140 MTA employees literally doubled their annual salaries through overtime pay in 2009. And, some 3200 MTA employees received overtime pay equal to at least half of their annual salary last year. In 77% of the transactions checked, auditors found that the overtime was either unjustified or that no records were kept.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters