- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
A Mount Vernon man,who pleaded guilty to the murders of his daughter and her babysitter, was sentenced today to two consecutive terms of 20 years to life in state prison.
51 year old Darrell Evans, who's currently doing time for a 2008 mail fraud conviction pled guilty to the murder of his daughter,Ayanna Evans and her babysitter, Lorna Williams following an argument with his wife Joan Whitfield. Both victims died of gunshot wounds.
Police arrested Evans as he exited the home where the shooting occurred. Police also recovered the murder weapon at the scene.
A Mount Vernon man is facing 40 years to life behind bars after pleading guilty today to two counts of Second Degree Murder.
Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore says 52 year old Darrell Evans of 8 Ellwood Avenue, Mount Vernon, admitted shooting his daughter and her babysitter following a dispute with his wife.
Prosecutors say Evans was on the phone arguing with his common law wife the night of January 7, 2010, when he threatened to kill both the babysitter, 42 year old Lorna Williams and his 9 year old daughter, Ayana Evans. The wife, Joan Whitfield notified authorities, who arrived at the home to find the two shot. Williams died from a single gunshot wound to the head, and Ayana Evans gravely injured with multiple gunshot wounds to the chest. Evans was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Sentencing is set for March 22.
A $5,000 reward is now being offered for the arrest of a suspect wanted in connection with a double murder this Summer in Yonkers.
Police have issued a poster with a photograph of the suspect, Ronnell Jones detailing the reward.
Cops say on July 6, 2010, Jones and two accomplices entered an apartment at 77 Locust Hill Avenue with two accomplices and opened fire, killing two people and wounded four others, including a small child. Anyone with information is urged to contact the Yonkers Police Department Detective Division at 914-377-7724. All calls will be kept confidential.
Yonkers Police say an arrest has been made in connection with the July 6 shooting at a home at 77 Locust Hill Avenue that resulted in the deaths of 2 men and wounding of four others.
Killed in the attack were 21 year old Kasheem Little and 23 year old Carlton MCCloud of 77 Locust Hill Avenue. Four others, including a five year old boy were taken to local hospital suffering from gunshot wounds.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters