- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Storm Leaves Hundreds Without Power, Flights Canceled at County Airport
The strong gusty winds from tonight's blizzard are resulting in hundreds of power outages across Westchester.
Wind gusts of between 36 and 44 miles per hour are reported by the National Weather Service.
As a result, Con Edison is reporting nearly 750 customers are without power as of 11:15 p.m.
The outages are mostly concentrated in New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, Mamaroneck,Peekskill and Yorktown. Con Edison is estimating that the outages will be restored by 5 a.m.
NYSEG is also reporting hundreds of outages due to the weather. Customers affected are in Yorktown, Katonah and Somers.
The wind chill, according to the National Weather Service is making it feel like -1.
The forecast is calling for snow overnight, heavy at times, with a total nighttime accumulation of between 13-19 inches. Snow is expected to taper off by mid morning Monday, with winds of between 26 and 29 mph expected.
Westchester officials say the Westchester County airport is open, although most if not all flights into and out of the airport have been cancelled due to the blizzard. Passengers are urged to check with their individual carrier about the status of their flight before heading out.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters