- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Peekskill to Raise Money for Injured First Responder
A special fundraiser is being held Sunday September 12 to raise money for former Peekskill Police Detective Charlie Wassil.
Wassil, like many police officers and firefighters from Westchester County, answered the call of duty and spent time at Ground Zero in New York City searching for possible survivors following the September 11 terrorist attacks.
As a result of his time spent at Ground Zero, Wassil, a U.S. Marine and former NYPD officer,was forced to retire from the Peekskill PD.
Detective Wassil is now in need of tretments to combat his illness that NYS Workers Compensation has denied payment for.
Wassil is in need of a series of expensive injections over the next year to be paid out of pocket.
Peekskill Police are hosting a fundraising barbecue on Sunday September 12 starting at 12 noon at Oley and Chuck's Rainbow Bar and Grill 425 Central Avenue in Peekskill.
The day-long cookout will feature Draft Beer, Soda, Burgers, Hot Dogs, Italian Sausage and peppers and more. All proceeds will go toward Detective Wassil's medical treatments. Donations are $25.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters