- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Peekskill Police Help Arrest Texas Woman Who Fled With Child
A woman from Beaumont, Texas is under arrest after allegedly fleeing Peekskill with her 4 year old son and not returning him back to his father.
Lt. Eric Johansen says the boy's father, who has not been identified, contacted Peekskill Police January 2,2011 seeking their assistance in getting the youngster returned to him. Johansen says the man's estranged wife, who shared joint custody with the child, had taken the boy over the Christmas holiday and never returned with the boy.
With the help of Texas authorities, Peekskill Police learned that the woman, 25 year old Leah Cambridge, had taken up residence in an apartment in Beaumont. The apartment they say, was the site of suspected drug abuse and prostitution.
On January 13, the child was located and Cambridge was taken into custody as a fugitive from justice. She has been charged by Peekskill Detectives with 1st Degree Custodial Interference, a Felony.
The boy was reunited with his father on January 14, who had flown to Texas to pick him up.
Johansen says while there is no indication that the boy had been abused while away from his father, it is "extremely gratifying" to know that he was removed from a potentially dangerous situation and returned to his father. Said Johansen, "It could've been a whole lot worse."
He cited an outstanding Peekskill child disappearance from the 1980's with the non-custodial parent, which has never been solved.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters