- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Peekskill Appoints New High School Principal
The Peekskill City School District Board of Education has appointed Sherrill Murray-Lazarus the new principal of Peekskill High School. She replaces retiring principal Vincent Burruano.
Murray-Lazarus is the first woman to serve as the high school's principal.
Said Murray-Lazarus, "I bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to Peekskill and I want to build bridges and make connections."
Murray-Lazarus brings many years of teaching and administration experience to her new position. She served as principal of the Roy C. Ketcham Senior High School in the Wappingers Central School District from 2003-2009. She was Ketcham's assistant principal from 1996 to 1998 and then Wappingers District Coordinator of Social Studies and Second Language from 1998 to 2003.
During her tenure, Ketcham and its 2,000 students frequently earned regional recognition as a "Hudson Valley's Best" High School.
Prior to her career in administration, Murray-Lazarus began her teaching career in Newburgh as a Spanish teacher. In addition to speaking English, Murray-Lazarus speaks four languages, Spanish,French,Italian and Hebrew.
Murray-Lazarus graduated from SUNY Oswego and received two graduate degrees from SUNY New Paltz. She is a doctoral candidate in educational administration at North Central University.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters