- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Ossining Judge Retiring after 31 Years on the Bench
Senior Ossining Town Justice Edwin Shapiro has announced his retirement from the court effective March 15. Judge Shapiro has served for over 31 years and recently celebrated his 80th birthday.
Said Shapiro, "I have been honored to serve the citizens of the Ossining-Briarcliff community as their town justice for more than three decades, but now the time has come for me to spend more quality time with my wife,children and grandchildren."
The judge says he is "particularly pleased" that many of his decisions have been published in the official New York State law reports and cited as "Decisions of Interest" in the New York Law Journal.
He went on to add, "In landlord-tenant proceedings, I always tried to keep people in their homes rather than evicting them by employing 'creative arrangements' that were not unfair to landlords."
Town Supervisor Catherine Borgia thanked Judge Shapiro,"The Town Board is very grateful to Judge Shapiro for his many years of dedicated service to the Ossining community. We wish him the very best in his retirement."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters