- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Cyclist Legislation a Step Closer to Passage in Albany
State Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins (D-Yonkers) has announced that the Senate has passed legislation requiring motorists to pass bicyclists to proceed at a safe distance. The measure, known as "Merrill's Law" was so named after Merrill Cassell, an avid cyclist and safety advocate who was fatally struck by a bus last year while cycling in Greenburgh.
The measure was already passed in the Assembly and now heads to the Governor's desk, where it's expected to be signed.
Failure to comply with the requirement will result in a traffic infraction.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says there were 42 bike-related traffic fatalities in 2008 alone. Similar legislation has been passed in Connecticut, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Tennessee and Utah and requires drivers to maintain a distance of no less than three feet between the vehicle and the bicyclist.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters