- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Four School Budgets Defeated in Westchester
It wasn't quite the washout that Governor David Paterson was predicting, but budgets in four Westchester school districts were rejected by voters on Tuesday. Budgets in Ossining, Katonah-Lewisboro, Mount Vernon and Pocantico Hills went down to defeat. The school spending plan in Pleasantville passed but by a razor-thin margin of just 11 votes.
School districts now have the option of reworking the budget and putting it up for a second vote in June, or else move directly to a contingency budget right away, which will leave the school with a bare-bones curriculum and typically no sports or extracurricular activities.If a school budget is defeated on a second vote, a contingency budget automatically takes effect.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters