- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Ball Announces Plans for Anti Sex Abuse Coalition in Northern Westchester
Assemblyman Greg Ball (R,C,I-Patterson) was in Yorktown Thursday for a public forum focusing on policies and practices to safeguard children from sex offenders. Ball, a member of the Assembly Minority Sex Offender Watch Task Force, was joined by Assemblyman Robert Castelli(R,C,I Goldens Bridge),Yorktown Supervisor Susan Siegel,Yorktown Councilmembers Nick Bianco, Dr. Terrence Murphy,Vishnu Patel,Yorktown Town Justice Salvatore Lagonia,and local law enforcement officials.
Ball has worked previously with Putnam County officials to enact Child Safety Zones in that County which bar convicted sex offenders from living or working near places children live or frequent.
Ball said,"This is a very complex issue. It involves molestation, rape, assault,incest and other sexual crimes. Most of these crimes are committed within the four walls of our homes, or by people we know and trust." He added, "We need unified participation and communication from the many advocates as well as the school districts to combat the problem."
Rebecca deSimone of Victims Assistance Services said Child Safety Zone legislation is not a comprehensive solution to the greater problem. According to deSimone,"Strangers are responsible for only about 10 percent of the attacks. Ninety percent of abusers are known by the victims. They are family or people within our communities, and we need a comprehensive perspective on this crime."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters