- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
County Vows to Study Sound Shore Flooding Problem
It's been three years since massive flooding devastated Westchester County's Sound Shore area, and today County Executive Rob Astorino and Congresswoman Nita Lowey announced plans to commence a flood control study, by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers,designed to find solutions to the chronic flooding problems in Mamaroneck,Rye,Scarsdale and Tarrytown and to prevent future problems along the Mamaroneck and Sheldrake Rivers.
Said Astorino "This is gonna look at the entire plan, the entire flood basin, and hopefully come up with solutions of how to fix this flooding long term. However, the big obstacle, as it always is, is going to be money." He adds, "This project is going to take some time and cost an enormous amount of money, 150 million dollars or more." One of the first studies will take place in Mamaroneck and be conducted by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers with the help of Federal funds secured by Congresswoman Lowey.
Astorino says more than 6 million dollars is included in the County's Capital Projects Budget for flood mitigation, with other funding coming from the State and Federal Government.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters