- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Assemblywoman Galef Releases New Constituent Survey
Assemblywoman Sandy Galef (D-Ossining) has released the results of her most recent consituent survey. The questionaire was answered by 732 constituents and focused on issues relating to budgeting and saving.
The largest response in the survey indicated 97% of people questioned agreed that State Lawmakers should do away with member items in the 2010-2011 budget. 85% of respondents thought that the state should freeze spending for the next two budget years and 84% believe the state should cap its spending based on the Consumer Price Index.
In addition, 92% of those responding believe that stricter laws should be in place for those caught texting while driving. 81% support the idea of merging local courts and/or developing a larger regional court system.
Galef says she's "Particularly glad that constituents overwhelmingly supported her bill (A.9427) to eliminate legislators' discretionary spending; member items; in this year's budget." Galef also co-sponsors a bill (A.2453) which would make text messaging while driving a primary versus a secondary offense.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters