- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Peekskill School District to Hold Second School Budget Forum
Peekskill residents will have an opportunity Saturday March 20 to weigh in and take a closer look at the school budget for the 2010-2011 school year. The District's Citizens' Budget Advisory Committee, which is comprised of local residents who have been analyzing the budget expenditures and anticipated revenues, is hosting the forum along with School Superintendent Judith Johnson, Members of the Committee and the Board of Education. The session's expected to begin with an overview of the budget challenges facing the district.
Peekskill School Superintendent Judith Johnson says property owners could face a tax increase of 6 percent or more and the possible layoffs of dozens of teachers. Johnson, who is preparing the 2010-2011 school budget, says the district is facing a $5.5 million shortfall in its 75 million dollar budget for 2010-2011. She warns that that number might go higher, depending on additional cutbacks in state aid.
Saturday's forum will be held Saturday March 20 at 8:30 a.m. in the Middle School cafeteria.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters