- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester Assemblymembers Call for no Member Items in the State Budget
Assemblymembers Sandy Galef, Amy Paulin and George Latimer are renewing their call for no member item spending in the 2010-2011 NY State Budget. By cutting such expenditures for member items the state can save an estimated $140 to $200 million in this year's budget.
Member items include state funding secured by individual Assembly and Senate members to fund community projects, civic projects, public health initiatives and other public use specifically in the recipient members' districts.
Said Galef, "With an over $8 billion state budget deficit this year and proposed major cuts to state agencies and to those that provide education and health care to New York residents, there is absolutely no way we can afford to have discretionary spending in the budget.
Paulin says "By rejecting member items we will save the state money and that's the bottom line."
Assemblyman George Latimer agreed, saying "Tough times require tough decisions. We need to show we understand that people and businesses are tightening their belts and that we're prepared to do the same."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters