- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Westchester County Committee Identifies Health Cost Savings
The Westchester County Legislature's newly formed Special Committee on Health Insurance Savings has come up with an idea that could save the County and its employees thousands of dollars.
The committee was formed several weeks ago after County Executive Rob Astorino called for non union workers to contribute 15% to their healthcare costs. Republican legislator John Testa of Peekskill says this week's meeting was an enlightening one. He says he and other lawmakers were surprised to learn that the current healthcare contract for non-union County employees did not go out to bid, suggesting that by doing so moving forward, cost savings might likely be realized.
The county signed a two year deal with Pomco Group for health insurance in December. Testa says the County isn't locked into that plan if they manage to discover a less expensive deal. He says the County simply needs to give Pomco 60 days notice if it locates a plan that offers significant cost savings.
Board Vice-Chairman Lyndon Williams says the panel next needs to meet with industry experts to develop a health benefit plan that works best for Westchester County.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters