- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Former NYPD Boss Bernard Kerik Sentenced to 4 Years
Former New York City Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik has been sentenced to four years in jail. A judge in White Plains federal court went beyond the 27 to 33 month prison sentence recommended by the prosecution and defense, and sentenced the former NYPD top cop to a longer term. During his court appearance in U.S. District Court in White Plains today, the 54 year old Kerik apologized for his crimes.
Kerik, who served as NYC Police Commissioner during the 9/11 attacks under former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, pleaded guilty in November to 8 felony counts, including tax fraud and lying to federal officials during his vetting by the White House for the job of Homeland Security Secretary. He also pleaded guilty to accepting renovations on his apartment by a company while he headed up the NYPD in exchange for him lobbying on behalf of that company. Kerik had been awaiting sentencing while on house arrest at his home in New Jersey.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters