- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Ball and Leibell Join Forces to Call for Repeal of the MTA Payroll Tax
State Senator Vincent Leibell (R,C-I-Patterson) and Assemblyman Greg Ball (R,C,I-Patterson) were in Yorktown Heights yesterday calling for an immediate repeal of the MTA Payroll Tax. The two lawmakers were joined by local Not-for-Profit Groups to call on Albany to take action.
Governor David Paterson is calling for a halving of the MTA Payroll Tax. Businesses currently must pay .34% per $100 of payroll for each calendar quarter. Leibell says cutting the tax in half isn't enough and that the tax is driving businesses out of New York State, adding "They are fed up. They've had it. They no longer want to live or work in a state with tax burdens like we have in New York."
"The impact of the MTA Tax on non-profits is huge," said Pete Bardunias, Executive Director of the Greater Mahopac-Carmel Chamber of Commerce, "not to mention that it impacts each and every donor who supports these important organizations. A part of their donation dollars now goes to support the spending excesses of the MTA instead of our neighbors who need it the most."
In addition to calling for the immediate repeal of the MTA payroll tax, the state legislators called on their colleagues, especially those in the Hudson Valley, to sign a letter stating their support for repealing the tax in full. A similar letter was circulated last spring by Senator Leibell and Assemblyman Ball and it was signed by all Hudson Valley members of their legislative conferences. While amending the tax has since gained bipartisan support, a full repeal has not been agreed to.
Assemblyman Robert J. Castelli joined Ball and Leibell yesterday by signing the letter.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters