- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
It's budget time for local school districts across Westchester County and it's not pretty. Not one of the many municipalities I speak with at any given time, has good, positive news for the community with which they are affiliated.
Superintendents are pointing the finger at Albany for constantly changing and decreasing revenue, which is forcing them to make tough, painful decisions. "Do I cut the number of teachers, increase class size, cut extracurricular programs, not fill vacant positions?" No one wants to make these decisions -- teachers, nor parents, nor taxpayers nor the superintendents themselves.
During my recent interview with Peekskill Superintendent Judith Johnson on the issue of the upcoming City School Budget, she commented "My goal is, continue to prepare our kids to be career and college ready and at the same time be sensitive to the concerns of the taxpayer." adding "If I can figure out that algorithm, I'm writing the book..."
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters