- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Mount Vernon Man Pleads Guilty to Double Murder
A Mount Vernon man is facing 40 years to life behind bars after pleading guilty today to two counts of Second Degree Murder.
Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore says 52 year old Darrell Evans of 8 Ellwood Avenue, Mount Vernon, admitted shooting his daughter and her babysitter following a dispute with his wife.
Prosecutors say Evans was on the phone arguing with his common law wife the night of January 7, 2010, when he threatened to kill both the babysitter, 42 year old Lorna Williams and his 9 year old daughter, Ayana Evans. The wife, Joan Whitfield notified authorities, who arrived at the home to find the two shot. Williams died from a single gunshot wound to the head, and Ayana Evans gravely injured with multiple gunshot wounds to the chest. Evans was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Sentencing is set for March 22.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters