- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Mount Vernon DPW Supervisor Charged With Perjury
The Supervisor in Mount Vernon's Department of Public Works has been charged with First Degree Perjury, a felony, said Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore.
Prosecutors say on November 9, 2010, 70 year old Ganga "Rudy Persaud purjured himelf while he was giving a depositon in a civil matter against the City of Mount Vernon.
The alleged testimony came in a case involving a person who slipped and fell on the sidewalk in front of 245 Summit Avenue in Mount Vernon alleging negligence, recklessness and carelessness on the part of the city.
Officials allege that Persaud testified that he had discussed with the homeowner the cost of repairing the sidewalk and had referred a contractor to the homeowner and was subsequently paid by the homeowner for the sidewalk repairs.
DiFiore says in fact, Persaud received two checks from the homeowner, one makde out to cash in the amount of $1,650 and the second totaling $1,000 made out to Persaud.
Said DiFiore "The defendant, as Supervisor in the Department of Public Works, put his self interest ahead of the City of Mount Vernon's by taking money from a homeowner to repair a sidewalk and then lying about it. Actions like those severely undermine the public's confidence in government."
Persaud's bail was set at $5,000 cash or $10,000 bond with a passport surrender.
He is due back in court on April 6 and faces a maximum of 7 years in state prison if found guilty.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters