- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Memorial Held in Yonkers For Wrong Way Crash Victims
The Yonkers victims of the wrong way crash on the Taconic State Parkway were honored Monday at a memorial mass in Yonkers. It was one year ago today that Diane Schuler of Long Island drove the wrong way on the parkway, striking another car head-on, and killing herself and seven other people. Authorities determined that she was severely drunk and high on marijuana at the time.
Today, members and friends of three Yonkers men killed in the crash, Michael and guy Bastardi and Daniel Longo, gathered to remember their loved ones in a special mass at St. John the Baptist Church in Yonkers.
The Rev. Thomas Valenti told those present that healing for relatives could take years,adding, "We're still sad remembering the tragedy that took our brothers from us a year ago. We pray that God will give us strength this morning."
Roseann Guzzo of Yorktown, whose father and brother were killed in the crash said, "We have to deal with a lot of stuff that's going on still. I know they're in a better place, but we still deal with some things to me that I told Father (Valenti) are evil, and he said we still live in this room and he said we need to keep praying."
Members of the Bastardi and Longo family donated a chalice and paten for the church for use during communion in the mens' honor.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters