- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Maximum Sentence for Garrison Man in Vehicular Homicide in Cortlandt
A Garrison man has been sentenced to 2 1/3 to 7 years in state prison after he was convicted of Vehicular Homicide, Criminally Negligent Homicide, Assault,Reckless Driving and DWI.
Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore says 26 year old George Kiaha of Route 9 Garrison received the sentence stemming from an incident September 4, 2009 on Route 9 in the Town of Cortlandt.
Kiaha was driving southbound on Route 9 near Susan Lane and attempted to pass two vehicles in front of him by crossing into the oncoming lane of traffic. He then struck a vehicle heading northbound head-on injuring all six occupants. One of the injured, 55 year old Ralph Wood later died of internal injuries. A blood test determined Kiaha had a blood alcohol level of .11, which is above the legal limit of .08.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters