- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Lowey Announces $1.9 Million Grant For White Plains Fire Dept
Congresswoman Nita Lowey announced today that the White Plains Fire Bureau will receive a $1.9 million federal grant which can be used to re-hire firefighers who were laid off at the Bureau.
White Plains Public Safety Commissioner David Chong called it "Tremendous news for the City of White Plains and its outstanding Fire Bureau."
Due to budget cuts in the fiscally-strapped city, nine firefighters were recently let go. Lowey says the money will be used to restore their positions.
Said Lowey, "I am thrilled that the White Plains Fire Bureau will benefit from this federal grant, which will help ensure that we have the personnel necessary to keep our community safe. At a time of high unemployment, I am particularly pleased this federal investment will create jobs in our community."
The funding is part of the Department of Homeland Security's Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Program (SAFER), a funding initiative designed to strengthen the nation's ability to respond to fire and fire-related hazards and improve the nation's overall level of preparedness.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters