- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Legislators Seek to Abolish Board of Acquisitions and Contracts
The Chairman of the Westchester County Board of Legislators, Ken Jenkins (D-Yonkers) and the Chair of the Board's Committee on Legislation, John Nonna (D-Mount Pleasant) have submitted legislation that will abolish the County's Board of Acquisition and Contracts.
The two believe the Board of Acquisition and Contracts has too much authority and spends millions of dollars of county money without a system of checks and balances.
Said Nonna, "The idea that three men in a room get to decide how millions of taxpayer dollars are spent each year is contrary to open and transparent government." He added, "Abolition of the Board of Acquisition and Contracts will promote transparency and accountability."
The Board of Acquisition and Contracts was established by the Westchester County Charter in 1937 and it has the responsibility and authority to approve various County contracts and agreements. Prior to that, all expenditures were approved by the Board of Legislators. Currently A&C meets weekly and is made up of the County Executive, Rob Astorino, Board of Legislators Chairman Ken Jenkins and the Commissioner of the Department of Public Works, John Hsu.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters