- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Hudson Valley Hospital Center Honors Combat Veteran,Physican, John McGurty
Longtime physician and former Emergency Department Director at Hudson Valley Hospital Center, John A. McGurty Jr., was honored today with the dedication of a new hospital conference room in his name.
Dr. McGurty, who served as HVHC's Director of Emergency Medicine from 1996-2003, has served tours of duty in both Iraq and Afghanistan and as a U.S. Navy reservist and Medical Corps Captain. He has also served as Navy flight surgeon and is due to return overseas later this month for a third military deployment.
About 100 people were on hand for today's dedication ceremony in the hospital lobby to unveil the plaque that will be placed outside the hospital's new Dr. John A. McGurty, Jr. Conference room.
Those on hand included Cortlandt Town Supervisor Linda Puglisi, Peekskill Mayor Mary Foster, members of the U.S. Marine Corps, New York State and City of Peekskill Police as well as hospital staff and physicians.
"I am both surprised and extraordinarily humbled to have been selected for this honor," said Dr. McGurdy. "I am also very grateful to our local community for allowing me to serve them and for my fellow physicians,nurses and employees at Hudson Valley Hospital Center for their years of loyal service."
McGurty has been a doctor for hundreds of people in the Peekskill/Cortlandt region. He also served as personal physician to former Goveror George Pataki.
Hudson Valley Hospital Center President John Federspiel said, "We are very proud of his service to the community and more importantly his service to his country."
The new conference room tribute was sponsored by Emergency Medical Associates, the physicians group which cares for hospital emergency room patients at HVHC.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters