- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Galef Calls For Greater Transparency in School and Municipal Budgets
Westchester/Putnam Assemblywoman Sandy Galef along with State Senator Martin Golden have introduced a bill in Albany that would require municipalities to allow public access to the proposed terms of school district or municipal bargaining agreements.
"The reason for this legislation is to make sure the process is open so that the public can examine where their tax dollars are going. What this does is require that when a contract has been negotiated between unions and municipal governments or schools that it go up on the internet over several weeks so that the public will have a chance to review it and comment on it."
Galef says when a municipality or a school district "spends public dollars," it's important such information be disclosed before a vote takes place.
Her bill proposes collective bargaining agreements covering salaries and benefits of all school district peronnel and public employees be released prior to their implementation.
"School taxes represent 70-80% of a homeowner's property tax bill. Homeowners deserve to understand where their money is going," said Galef.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters