- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Five Charged With Falsifying Student Loan Applications
Five people have been charged with Grand Larceny and Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument after allegedly claiming they were students at Westchester Community College in Valhalla in order to obtain student loans from JP Morgan Chase Bank.
Westchester District Attorney Janet DiFiore says in fact that the five were not students, nor did they ever even register for classes at the College.
Those arrested are:
23 year old Patricia Patton of Yonkers
31 year old Dwayne Hudgeson of Mount Vernon
23 year old Shaquacha Jamison of Mount Vernon
23 year old Nijah McClain of Mount Vernon
31 year old Kevin Ross of Mount Vernon
Officials say Patton,Hudgeson,Ross and McClain have been charged. An arrest warrant has been issued for Shaquacha Jamison.
Each has been charged of one count of 3rd Degree Grand Larceny, a felony and one count of 2nd Degree Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument, a felony.
Prosecutors allege that between March and July 2008, the suspects posed as students at Westchester Community College, specifically for the Summer Semester 2008, by allegedly presenting a forged Westchester Community College Student Course Schedule and bill to Chase Education Finance and received $15,530 for school tuition and living expenses.
Officials say the investigation is continuing and that additional suspects may be arrested in connection with the case.
The suspects face up to 7 years in prison if found guilty.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters