- Pitchforks, Torches and Facebook
- A Better Place to Get Better
- Westchester Politics, Never Boring..
- Relentless Mother Nature Pummels Westchester Again!
- Stray Dogs. Why do People Let Them Stray?
- Don't put away that shovel just yet...
- Olympic Hopes Dashed
- Squeezing Blood from Upstate Stones
- Take Nothing for Granted
- He WILL Get That Dinner... and a New Spirit of Political Cooperation
Faulty Woodstove To Blame for Yorktown Fire That Left 5 Injured
Five people were injured, two of them seriously, in an early morning fire in Jefferson Valley.
Mohegan Lake Fire Chief Joseph Mayer says the call reporting of a structure fire with people trapped inside first came in at 5:35 a.m.
Mayer says a trooper passing by spotted the blaze and alerted the residents in the home at 1390 Gomer Court and began evacuating them. Fire officials arrived at the home to find it fully engulfed in flames.
At least one of the injured, a woman, was also engulfed in flames when she exited the home. She is one of two people suffering burns who were transported to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.
Three others, suffering smoke inhalation, were taken to Hudson Valley Hospital for treatment.
Mayer says the family reports the pets inside the home did not make it out alive. They are said to be a dog, a pet python and a cat, but fire officials have not been able to confirm that.
It took a total of about 60 fire officials from 3 neighboring communities, including Putnam Valley and Mahopac, several hours to get the blaze under control.
According to Mayer, investigators have determined that a faulty woodstove was to blame for the massive fire. The Fire Chief urged residents to be sure to have woodstoves installed professionally, saying "They can and will cause you to lose your home" if they are not.
The home is considered a total loss. Fire officials brought in a backhoe to tear down portions of the severely damaged home.
Around the Country
- Southwest to Cancel Flights as Jets Checked for Cracks - BusinessWeek
- Schumer: Dems slicing budget with scalpel, Tea Party using meat ax - CNN (blog)
- Duke lacrosse accuser arrested in boyfriend's stabbing - CNN International
- House GOP: $4 trillion in cuts - CNN
- Bachmann bids for 'bama eyes - Seattle Post Intelligencer
Around the Planet
- Afghans Continue Protests Over US Quran Burning - Voice of America
- Japan's nuclear workers try to trace leak, dump radioactive water - Los Angeles Times
- OSCE raps Kazakh election, presses for reforms - Reuters
- Newsmaker: Yemen survivor Saleh juggles forces to keep power - Reuters
- France says finds bodies in Atlantic crash wreckage - Reuters